Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pressure Cooker Beef and Black Beans


Okay. This recipe got a little weird on me. The beef was a good tenderness but the flavor was just, well, lacking. So I'm going to lay out the recipe and I'd like to have some input on what you, the reader, would do differently. The recipe was pretty easy, had a ton of nutritious stuff in it, and looked really pretty so I'd hate to scrap it all together. Help me out if you can! This is the original recipe that I modified, quite a bit actually from the Food Network.

Pressure Cooker Beef and Black Beans

1 1/2lb round steak, sliced into chunks
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1- 28oz can of diced tomatoes
salt and pepper

4-16oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
salt and pepper
cumin
chili powder

2 cups of uncooked brown short grain rice
4 cups of water

1. Start the rice, with the 4 cups of water, cooking in a rice cooker.

2. In a large saucepan, add a little bit of olive oil and heat to medium high heat. Add the veggies for the black beans. When browned and softened, add the beans, the seasonings to taste and a little bit of water....a cup maybe? Allow to simmer for a while so that the flavors can meld

3. In a large skillet, add a little bit of olive oil and heat to medium high heat. Add the veggies for the meat and allow to brown and soften. Put in the pressure cooker.


4. In the heated skillet, add a tad bit more oil and sear the meat. We just want to brown the outsides so that the moisture stays in. Put in the pressure cooker.


5. Add salt and pepper. Dump the can of tomatoes in it.


6. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and seal it. Heat over high heat until the steam builds and the gauge on the top starts 'rocking' (it takes about 15 minutes for mine to start). Then back off the heat to medium and allow it to 'pressure cook' for 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat into the sink and run cold water over it until the pot 'unlocks' itself. Remove the lid and mix everything up on the inside, shredding the beef as you go along.


7. We are just layering it. Rice on the bottom, then beans, then meat on top. I mixed it all together.

It made about 8 servings for us. We had a little bit of rice, quite a bit of beans, and then a little bit of beef.

503 Calories
5g Fat
76g Carbs

So now that you've read all the way through, what would you do differently? I had to salt this a lot to give it more flavor. It was okay but not spectacular. So how would you fix it?



4 comments:

  1. Hi Betty Jo, I see a lack of herbs and spices! May I suggest adding a bay leaf, a rosemary sprig and sage sprig in the pressure cooker when you are sauteeing? I would also up the salt, and crank-up the pepper!

    Before serving, sprinkle a Gremolata (1 tbsp of chopped parsley and 1 tbsp of lemon zest) on top for added zing!

    It sure LOOKS delicious, congrats!

    Laura

    hippressurecooking.com
    making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not change much but a bit more seasoning might make a big difference. First, swap the water for red wine with the beans. This will add depth and flavor (alcohol disappears if anyone is concerned). Second, you indicate chile powder and cumin but do not say now much. I might change the powder to flakes and double or triple what you used - teaspoon of each minimum. And I would do what Laura says above.

    chef@yoursmartkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. you rock that pressure cooker! that's awesome
    I would maybe add beef bullion or beef stock,Worcestershire, thyme, bay leaf... and maybe red wine if I drank, but I don't LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome comments ladies....thanks!

    yogiwan- I didn't indicate the measurements cause I rarely measure :) I used quite a bit though.

    ReplyDelete